Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review: Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture


Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture
Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I enjoyed rereading Generation X. I'm too young to be a Boomer and too old to qualify as a Gen-exer, but my youth was more oriented to a Gen-exer's lifestyle than a Yuppy's.

Since my outlook on life has become more spiritual - Catholic spiritual, not New Age spiritual - I can sum up Coupland's tales-within-tales as: secular-minded characters fumbling through life, searching for some meaning/truth other than God.

What you get is Coupland's trio of dysfunctional, highly literate and entertaining story-tellers. Generation X is a collection of stories concerned with people trying to make proper ethical choices in a world that has rejected God. With so much material to mine from the daily headlines, Coupland renewed his reporting on Godless lives in his other short story collection, Life After God.

With its acclaimed iconic status, Generation X has now been published for so long that my rereading evoked more a sense of nostalgia for the bygone 1980s than anything else. Still, if you're looking for reasons why our society is the way it is, Generation X is an entertaining and worthwhile place to start.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets