Friday, May 09, 2014

Mother's Day 2014

Thanks For Being Born, Mom
Our son recently gave this card to his mother (my wife) for her birthday. Both she and I immediately saw beyond the humor to the implicit pro-life message: Thanks for being born, because otherwise I wouldn't exist.

The reason I mention this birthday card in the context of Mother's Day is that I feel this sentiment gets right to the central problem of the so-called "pro-choice" position on abortion, namely; people's mistaken belief (both men and women, because women aren't alone in making these decisions) thinking that, once having been given the gift of existence they feel that they can then decide whether their children should or should not receive the same gift. Besides being ignorant of several commandments (#5 most notably), and ignoring the growing body of evidence showing that abortions cause cancer, not to mention the simple humanity of loving one's offspring, the proponents of abortion actually believe that it is in their power to decide the fate of another human being!

Our culture has been driven so far away from God, and of our partaking of the Divine, that we are now actively committing genocide! It isn't enough for an individual to want to end their own life, we have been led to believe that we have the "right" to end other lives as well, even though we ourselves have been extended this right to life! How dare we be so selfish with this precious gift. 

Over 56 million children have been aborted in the US since Roe v Wade

On a related topic, the issue of "pro-choice" versus "pro-life" is truly baffling to most Catholics/Christians. We already know that God gave us complete freedom to choose our actions. No Christian has ever denied the fact that women who kill their children are exercising a choice. Of course they are, but abortionists and their clients, however, are accountable for that choice, as everyone is for all the choices we make every day of our lives; those choices that either lead us closer to God, or the ones where we spurn His love and graces for our selfish needs.

* * *

This Mother's Day I will once again be supporting the efforts of the Culture of Life by purchasing some white roses after Mass. I will take a moment to thank God for the gift of my life, and I will thank my (deceased) parents for upholding the dignity of life, and I will pray for an end to the continued pain caused by our culture of death and its disregard for life, which is sacred from conception to natural death.

Happy Mother's Day to Our Blessed Mother Mary, who suffered with her Son on the Cross, and also to the mothers in my life: to my wife, my mother-in-law, my godmother, my mother, my adopted brother's biological mother, and the rest of the moms out there. On behalf of your physical and spiritual children, I thank you for loving enough to bring us life.

* * *
A Mother's Day Gift
I invite you to read my free love story novella The Well. It is available at Smashwords.com (you need an register for a free account), or you can download either a pdf, Kindle or Kobo (epub) version from my website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets